*Please Note: The hybrid format combines online course material with live Zoom lectures featuring an instructor in real time; and five in-person, hands-on lab classes held on campus. To view all currently available format options, click the Other Start Dates button.
This program is offered in online and hybrid formats.*
Prerequisite: High school diploma or GED equivalent.
This 50-hour program offered by California State University, Long Beach will prepare you to become an EKG technician, which involves monitoring and recording electrical impulses transmitted by the heart. This program prepares you to take the ASPT-Electrocardiograph Technician exam and other National Certification exams.
This course includes important background information on the anatomy and physiology of the heart, medical disease processes, medical terminology, medical ethics, legal aspects of patient contact, electrocardiography, and stress testing. You will learn the proper use of the EKG machine and other clinical practices.
After the successful completion of this program, you will be prepared to sit for the National Workforce Career Association (NWCA) exam or sit for the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) EKG Technician Certification (CET) exam.
- Self-motivated and disciplined students
- Individuals interested in becoming a certified EKG technician
- Individuals interested in working in health care
- Roles of the EKG technician
- Functions of the EKG department in a variety of settings (hospital, clinic, office, mobile service)
- Medical terminology related to electrocardiography
- Anatomy of the heart, conduction system, and circulation of the heart and blood vessels
- Electrical conduction system of the heart and the cardiac cycle (electric system)
- Preparing a patient for a 12-lead EKG
- EKG strip analysis (P, Q, R, S, T wave form interpretation) and basic EKG interpretation
- A review of normal sinus rhythm, sinus bradycardia, and sinus tachycardia
- The 12-lead EKG placement and interpretation and troubleshooting
- Successfully complete the full online self-paced program