Marine Terminal Operations
A Professional Designation Program
This comprehensive training program was developed by the Center for International Trade and Transportation at California State University, Long Beach in collaboration with Marine Terminal Operators (MTOs). The program covers all aspects of terminal operations and increases career opportunities for individuals who either seek entry or advancement into this dynamic industry. Students will gain the critical knowledge and skills required by marine terminal operators worldwide to thrive in this highly competitive environment.
The Marine Terminal Operations Professional (MTOP™) Professional Designation program is taught by industry experts and structured in a flexible format allowing participants to select training areas of interest or to complete all course to earn the Marine Terminal Operations Professional Designation. The designation documents the graduate’s proficiency for either entry level or existing positions in marine terminal operations. This core of knowledge and skills will minimize on the job training requirements and significantly enhances any existing in-house training programs at terminals
Whether you are looking to acquire a broad-based understanding of the complexities of global trade, learn about specific operational considerations, or demonstrate competencies that showcase your qualifications for job opportunities, you can choose an approach that meets your career needs.
Students who successfully complete this program are eligible to receive a Digital Badge from CSULB’s College of Professional and International Education. Each Digital Badge is embedded with a link to secure and specific information confirming that the participant has obtained the necessary skills and competencies as described in the program. The badge also includes the participant’s name, the course title, and date of completion. Badges are shareable and can be uploaded to CVs, resumes, social media profiles, or other digital platforms. Click here to learn more about Digital Badges.
- MTO personnel seeking to enhance their knowledge of various marine terminal operations
- Individuals seeking entry in marine terminal operations
- Those interested in entering or learning more about the field of maritime transportation
- Business or Operations Management graduates seeking employment in the maritime industry
- Engineers, information technology specialists, and consultants providing services to marine terminals
- Military personnel
- Merchant marines
- Industry-relevant, up-to-date curriculum encompassing cargo and passenger terminal operations
- Taught by experienced practitioners and industry leaders
- Networking opportunities
- Enhances opportunity for entry or advancement in the industry
- Convenient and flexible scheduling
- Professional designation can be earned in six months to a year
- Scholarships available.
- The functions of the MTO within the global supply chain and international trade
- The role and functions of the front line manager in the successful and efficient operation of cargo and passenger terminals
- How MTOs are structured and their relationship to ocean carriers, the port complex, and the customers
- How terminals generate revenue
- The role of the labor force
- Technology and its effect on efficiency
- The structure and services performed by the Pacific Maritime Association (PMA)
- The importance of labor relations in terminal operations and the role of the labor force
- The responsibilities of terminal operations management in maintaining a safe and secure work environment
- Regulatory and environmental issues related to terminal operations
The MTOP™ professional designation is awarded only by the Center for International Trade and Transportation (CITT) at CSULB to those who complete all program requirements, including:
- Complete of all three courses in the program program(meet participation requirements for all weekly topics and pass all quizzes)
- Complete all program requirements within two years of initial program registration
- Completion of the Terminal Development Project, a final group project designed to demonstrate proficiency of all topics covered in the curriculum.
- Present the team project to an industry panel (online students present via virtual meeting software)
- Earn the MTOP Professional Designation and corresponding digital badge
- Students may earn a certificate of completion as a Marine Terminal Specialist for completing all individual courses excluding the Capstone-Terminal Development Project course